Responsible and Safe Travelling
We encourage participants to receive the most up to date information from embassies directly.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I GET TURNED AWAY UPON ARRIVAL?
Your airline should notify you of any changes in entry requirements due to Covid-19 and should alert you of any potential issues. In the event this does not happen, you will likely be placed on the next available flight home.
Please ensure you check your travel insurance provider to ensure they will cover any costs for getting you back home and reimburse your program fee.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I GET QUARANTINED ON ARRIVAL?
Should you be advised to quarantine upon arrival, we are here to help. We will advise you of an appropriate place to quarantine at a nearby local hotel or bed and breakfast.
Nkonzo Wildlife Research will do its utmost to assist you with transferring your start date to allow continued participation. Please note this is subject to availability.
WILL I BE NOTIFIED IF THE PROGRAM IS CANCELLED?
In the event we are unable to have interns or volunteers, you will be notified as soon as possible by email and offered another start date. Please refer to our cancellation for additional information.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I’M ON MY PROJECT AND THE SOUTH AFRICA SHUTS ITS BORDERS?
Nkonzo Wildlife Research is monitoring travel restrictions both into and out of South Africa. Any travel bans are proceeded by an announcement from the government. You should have adequate time to arrange travel home. Should you be on your project and unable to leave, Nkonzo Wildlife Research will continue to provide specified meals and accommodation as per the agreed duration of the booked program. We will assist in alternative accommodation and arrangements should it be required afterwards.
Please ensure you have the contact details of your resident embassy in South Africa (e.g. The British High Commission in South Africa) and register with them or sign up for updates if available. If you are a US Citizen, you can simply enroll in the Smart Traveller Enrollment Program (STEP): https://step.state.gov/
WHAT SUPPORT WILL NKONZO WILDLIFE RESEARCH PROVIDE IF I’M UNABLE TO GET HOME?
We will assist with arranging food and accommodation in the event you are unable to get home due to flight cancellations or other restrictions.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I, OR ANOTHER PARTICIPANT, CONTRACTS CORONAVIRUS?
Advice from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organisation (WHO), we have identified best practice methods to reduce the chance of infection and transmission, including screening, preventative hygiene and sanitation procedures and initial isolation areas for any cases of potential concern.
For any cases where the patient shows specific symptoms of COVID-19, while in temporary isolation, we will contact the local health authorities and act on their advice. Should the patient be confirmed with COVID-19 and/ or need continued self-isolation, they will be placed in a separate part of the accommodation facility.
We will give continuous support to the patient in isolation, specified meals etc.
To prevent the transmission of the virus to other participants, a number of procedures will be put in place in addition to isolation, including the staff wearing protective clothing and best practice hygiene and sanitation of the base and isolated accommodation. Please ensure your travel insurance will cover any necessary medical care you may need while in South Africa.
OUR SAFETY COMMITMENT
• Vehicle to be sanitized using disinfectant cleaner before departing.
• Masks are available for hand out by guide where participants do not have their own.
• Vehicle contain cleaning / alcohol-based hand sanitizing equipment for regular own use.
• Team leaders will always wear masks when cleaning fleet.
• Staff will undergo thermal screening before every new assignment.
• After return the entire vehicle will undergo a deep clean and disinfection cycle.
• Air-handling systems, air-conditioner and other air circulation systems will be sanitized and maintained after each day.
• The sanitation of all interior hard surfaces that may have been touched by passengers including seat belts; grip handles;
window and door handles; glass surfaces seat backs and overhead safety handles will be deep cleaned, and sanitized daily.
• Adequate airing of the vehicle prior to re-use.
• All staff will wear masks and avoid physical contact as far as possible.
• Provide alcohol-based hand sanitizers and disinfectant for all guests before starting activities.
• Guests will be requested to complete a Medical and Travel Declaration before partaking on activities
• Binoculars will not be shared and participants are requested to bring their own.
• Portable food and drink containers will be cleaned with surface disinfection after each use, and thoroughly at the end of trips.
Nkonzo Wildlife Research and all affiliated providers such as accommodation will comply with the prescribed social distancing and hygiene measures to ensure your safety.
Travel safe and we are looking forward welcoming you to Nkonzo Wildlife Research.